Originally posted on millsandboon.co.uk. Our friends at Mills & Boon are looking for authors to submit to their Medical Romance series!
Submit your story during Medical Month!
We’ve dubbed this May as Medical Month here at Mills & Boon. As we celebrate our heroes and heroines in the medical profession across the world with International Midwives Day and International Nurses Day, Mills & Boon Medical is looking for new authors!
We’re committed to finding and nurturing brilliant, contemporary new voices, could you be one of them?
We’re hosting a ‘Medical Month’ Blitz, providing a fabulous opportunity to get your Mills & Boon Medical submission fast-tracked! Submit your contemporary Medical Romance submission between May 1 and 12 and receive a response, including editorial feedback, by May 31!
What is Mills & Boon Medical?
Do you adore an uplifting, relatable, life-affirming romance set amid the pulse-racing drama of saving lives? Mills & Boon Medical offers stories in which readers experience the rollercoaster of emotions, ambitions and desires of today’s medical professionals. We publish 50,000-word contemporary medical romances that whisk readers into engaging medical settings around the world. Relatable, dedicated, empathetic characters, captivating emotional drama, and an unforgettable love story are a must! We are committed to publishing for our diverse global readership and are actively seeking to acquire authors from underrepresented backgrounds. Check out our full guidelines here:
What you need to know:
- The ‘Medical Month’ Blitz will be open for submissions from Monday, May 1 – Friday, May 12 2023.
- We’re looking for a query letter that introduces you and your book and includes any previous publishing credits, your first chapter and complete synopsis only – no need to have the full manuscript written!
- If we love your voice, we’ll invite you to submit further chapters and work with you on developing your story to its full potential. Please note that requests for additional chapters are not a guarantee of publication.
- Please submit your entry at https://harlequin.submittable.com/submit ‘Medical Month’ Blitz. This page will be live from Monday, May 1 – Friday, May 12, 2023.
- Only one submission per person.
- All submissions will receive editorial feedback by 5pm GMT on Wednesday, May 31.
- We will not use your chapter entries in any way other than in connection to the Medical Month Blitz.
This isn’t a contest but a chance to showcase your work to our editors and get some helpful feedback in an accelerated time frame, and maybe even become the newest Mills & Boon Medical author. If you’ve ever dreamed about being published by us, send us your submission. We want to read your story!
Here are a few tips on what makes the perfect Mills & Boon Medical story:
- Keep a strong focus on the developing central romance, which unfolds against the backdrop of medical drama.
- But remember that contemporary, international medical settings are integral to the story.
- A Medical hero is at the top of his game. He’s a dynamic and dedicated lifesaver that has a heart of gold!
- A Medical heroine is intelligent, professional, warm-hearted and empathetic! She’s everything a modern woman can relate to and aspire to be. And every bit as on-her-game as her love interest!
- Innovative internal emotional conflicts.
- These stories have a range of sensuality, from steamy and intensely passionate to warm and tender, but always combined with a high level of emotion.
- The characters, their romance, the settings and the drama must be appealing and accessible to a global readership. We are looking for stories with a diverse range of characters and are excited to see romances between LGBTQ+ characters.
Keep an eye on writeforharlequin.com and follow the editorial team on Twitter @SheilaHodgsonMR, @lauriec_johnson, @HaslamMegan and @JennyMacey22for more writing tips and exclusive content!